Boston Grammar School Foundation
The Foundation is the original governing body of the school dating from 1555. It ceased to govern the school following the 1944 Education Act, but as it owned assets it continued in existence to use the assets for the benefit of the school as a registered charity in England and Wales.
It is an endowed charity, meaning that it has funds which it invests for the purpose of generating an income to be spent on the charitable objects.
There are 16 volunteer members of the Foundation, including many Old Boys, who meet in the School Library to supervise the finances and co-operate with the Head in the best possible use of the money.
Typical uses include supporting the minibus, music tuition, prizes, equipment, hardship fund and special projects. There are also scholarships for former students attending university, created by generous gifts from friends of the school.
The Foundation is a registered charity, no. 527292.
Chairmen of the Governors (Foundation)
|1904||No election recorded|
|1905||William Turner Simonds|
|1906||H Barron Clark|
|1909-11||George Samuel William Jebb|
|1912-27||John Millington Simpson|
|1945-49||Edward Arthur Bailey|
|1950-67||William Lawson Alexander|
|1967-77||Peter Ellice Paine|
|1977-88||Reginald Geoffrey Manning Moulder|
|1945-46||Arthur Malcolm Cook|
|1947||George Henry Bird|
|1948||William Lawson Alexander|
|1950-60||William Henry Mason|
|1963-67||Peter Ellice Paine|
|1967-70||Arthur Henry Mather|
|1979-?||James Robert "Jim" Howes|