Hussey Tower

From OBA Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Hussey Tower is not part of Boston Grammar School but is a locally well-known historic monument immediately adjacent to the school sports field.

It was once the impressive manorial home of Sir John Hussey, a member of the court of Henry VIII. It was built in around 1450 by Richard Benyngton, collector of customs and excise in Boston, which was at the time, the wealthiest medieval port in England. The tower was constructed entirely of hand made red brick produced using local clay and was originally part of a large manor house, including a great hall, servants quarters, kitchens, stables and a large gatehouse. The tower was reserved for the high status accommodation of the Lord and his family. It is one of the earliest brick buildings in the county.

Recent history

In 2011 major restoration of the building took place, costing around £140,000.

In August 2014 vandals "gouged" the outer tower walls with metal bars causing what was claimed to be "Thousands of pounds worth of damage".

External Links

See Also