|James Robert "Jim" Howes|
|Died||31 October 2015 (aged about 91)|
|Education||Boston Grammar School (1933-1940)|
James Robert "Jim" Howes was educated at Boston Grammar School (1933-40).
Jim Howes passed away peacefully in his sleep on 31 October 2015.
Jim was made an Honorary Freeman of the Borough of Boston on March 15, 1999, in appreciation of services to the community. He had been chairman of governors of both Boston Grammar School and its Charitable Foundation, past President of the Old Bostonian Association (1978-83), Chairman of Trustees for Holy Trinity Church, past Chairman of 337 Boston Round Table, past President and Paul Harris Fellow of Boston Rotary Club.
He had been an officer of the Rural District Council and Boston Borough Council from 1946 to 1987, responsible for establishment of a comprehensive housing department on the amalgamation of the two authorities, past National President of the District Council Technical Association, advisor to the Association of District Councils Housing and Environment Committee, past chairman of the Lincolnshire branch on the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Cllr Richard Austin, Boston Mayor, said: "Jim is a great loss, to his family, but also to Boston. There are few people, if any, who have contributed more to the life and well being of the area over so many years."
from the Acta Grammatica - Winter 2015
Ex-Chair of Governors, Mr Jim Howes recently passed away. Mr Howes was an old boy of BGS who attended the school between 1933 and 1940. He lived and worked in Boston throughout his life and went on to be given the freedom of the Borough as a result of his hard work for the town and its people. Mr Howes' dedication to Boston Grammar School led to his involvement with and leadership of the Old Bostonian Association, the Foundation Governors and the Governing Body. For decades he was one of those entrusted with making the decision about which scholar earned the Parry Gold Medal (the pinnacle of academic achievement at BGS) each year. Amongst his many legacies is the refurbishment of the school Library in 1996. Mr Howes recently brought into school some photographs showing 'Speech Day' (Prize Giving) in the 1930s and another of himself and some friends with a collection of scrap metal to help with the war effort in the 1940s. Mr Howes did an enormous amount for our school and he will be missed by all who knew him.