Timeline of BGS history
The table below sets out the timeline of key events that have occurred over the lifetime of the school.
|1329||First written reference to a Grammar School in Boston: Robert of Muston first recorded master.|
|1555||School charter granted by Philip and Mary|
|1567/8||Big School constructed|
|1635||Boston Latin School founded, and modelled on BGS. It is currently the oldest existing school in the United States.|
|1827||Number One South End built (no longer used by the school)|
|1835||Robert Evelyn Roy attended the school. He later wrote the earliest available account of school life from the point of view of a pupil|
|1838||John Francis Bazlinton, longest serving master, arrived at the school|
|1850||North end lobby of Big School opened|
George Edwin Pattenden, longest serving headmaster, arrived at the school
|1856||South end classroom of Big School opened.|
The History and Antiquities of Boston authored by Pishey Thompson.
|1862||Stained glass panels installed in the north windows of Big School, depicting key figures from the Tudor period|
|1866||North end classroom of Big School opened.|
First five verses of school song, Floreat Bostona, written.
Earliest record of a BGS cricket match against another school: The King's School, Grantham.
|1871||Number One South End extended to accommodate more boarders.|
First Fives Court opened (demolished in 1904).
|1875||Parry Gold Medal instituted (first recipient: Frederick Pattenden)|
|1887||Sixth verse of Floreat Bostona written to commemorate Queen Victoria's golden jubilee year|
George Edwin Pattenden, longest serving headmaster, left the school
|1895||Thomas F. Bayard, United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom, was the guest of honour at Speech Day|
|1898||John Francis Bazlinton, longest serving master, died while still in service to the school|
|1900||Old Bostonian Association formed. Originally called the 'Old Bostonian Club'.|
|1904||First science block opened.|
Second Fives Court opened (demolished around 2000).
|1915||Margaret Anne Tamlyn, believed to be the first female member of staff, employed from February to April 1915|
|1920||First issue of the Bostonian magazine published.|
House system 're-introduced' with three houses: Hill's, Cox's and Briggs'.
|1921||Boston High School founded|
|1923||First World War memorial unveiled|
|1926||Main Quadrangle Block opened|
Houses renamed to those we know today: Parry, Gannock and Muston.
|1936||Laughton formed as a fourth house to meet a growth in student numbers|
|1938||Sports Field came into use|
|1939||Air Raid Shelters built (demolished in 1958 and 1968)|
|1941||CCF formed, initially as the Air Training Corps|
|1949||Second World War memorial unveiled.|
First Dining Hall opened (demolished in 1984).
First edition of The Quintian published.
|1953||Ormiston House, 27 Rowley Road built (sold in 1980).|
|1954||The first three girls to join the school entered the sixth form: Janice Bellamy, Carolyn Greetham, Pat Jackson|
|1955||400th anniversary (quater-centenary) of school charter being granted.|
First Charter Day service held.
Ten stained glass panels conceived for bay window of Big School. These were installed in 1956.
Boston Grammar School - A Short History authored by Hubert Turpin.
|1958||Assembly Hall opened.|
Second science block opened (demolished in 2002).
|1959||Gold piping / braid on blazers began to be phased out.|
Blazer badge changed from 'BGS' monogram to three crowns.
Staff Room opened
Specific ties and lapel badges introduced for prefects.
|1961||Big School renovated and converted for use as school library|
|1965||Swimming pool opened (in use until 1981)|
|1966||Junior Common Room opened.|
Boston Grammar School - A Short History updated.
|1968||Mobiles introduced (all removed by 2003).|
Stained glass panels installed in the Library, depicting the four historical figures after whom the Houses are named.
|1976||Sports Hall opened|
BGS Parents' Association (BGSA) formed
|1980||Fiesta held to celebrate the 425th anniversary of the granting of the school charter|
|1984||Second Dining Hall opened|
|1985||Design and Technology Block opened.|
Floreat Bostona, a comprehensive history of BGS, authored by alumnus George Bagley.
|1988||Link Block opened|
|1992||First issue of the Grammar Gazette published.|
|1993||Sixth Form Block opened|
|circa 1993||Sixth Form became co-educational|
|1997||Art and Music Block opened|
|2000||Centennial Anthology published to commemorate the centenary of the OBA|
|2002||Third science block opened|
OBA museum opened at the north end of the Library.
|2005||Small clocktower built to commemorate the 450th anniversary of the granting of school charter|
First female recipient of the Parry Gold Medal: Sunita R Deshmukh
|2007||Federation with Boston High School began.|
|2013||BGS acquired Academy status, ending the federation with Boston High School.|
School suffered flood damage due to tidal surge.
|2018||First floor extension to Sixth Form Block opened|