The Bostonian was the official magazine of Boston Grammar School for most of the 20th Century. The first two issues were published in July 1920 and October 1921. There was then a pause until the third edition appeared in December 1927. From then on it was published annually until the mid 1980s.
Over the years, various members of staff supervised the preparation of the magazine, including Frederick Cox, John Gledhill and John King. In its later incarnations it was edited by members of the Sixth Form.
For some time, pupils received a copy in return for payment of a voluntary subscription, which helped subsidise non-essential school items (of which the magazine was one). Members of the Old Bostonian Association received a copy in return for their annual membership fee.
The Bostonian was succeeded by two periodicals:
- Acta Grammatica - the official school publication which is produced at the end of every term.
- The Grammar Gazette - a student publication which first appeared in 1992.
Although similarly named, The Bostonian should not be confused with The Old Bostonian: the magazine of the Old Bostonian Association, which continues to this day.