A tuck shop is a small retailer selling food, especially when it is within a school.
Before a tuck shop was set up within Boston Grammar School, students gave that name to Saunby's shop, owned by Len Saunby, which was near the school gate on South End. It was also known at some time to students as "The Red Shop".
Tuck shop chronology
The various incarnations of the tuck shop went as follows.
- Tuck shop in old school house, Number One South End with Paul Nguyen Van-Tam, Revd John King, Brian Dawson, Richard Anderson as regular servers at break only (during the era of Philip Johnston as headmaster)
- Charity Club Table in the Quad', established by Richard Anderson and student, Mark Locking (during the era of Arthur Shrimpton as headmaster)
- Charity Club Table under stairs of the Link Block (during the era of Arthur Shrimpton as headmaster)
- Charity Club Shop in the Library lobby (where a former library bookcase acted as the counter) (during the era of John Neal as headmaster)
- Charity Club Shop in the Pavilion, originally set up by Richard Anderson and student, Anthony Brooks who is now Head of PE at The Deepings School. (during the era of John Neal as headmaster)
- Charity Club Shop in part of the Pavilion Classroom, the rest of the room having been converted into an art store (during the era of John Neal as headmaster)
The Pavilion was renovated around 2011 and the tuck shop was not relocated to a new home despite promises at the time, possibly because of Health and Safety regulations. (during the era of Paul Marsh as headmaster)
The tuck shop helped to raise £100,000 between 1972 and 2011
- Tuck shop (Wikipedia)